If you’ve been feeling a little sluggish lately, odds are you aren’t getting the appropriate amount of vitamins and minerals in your diet. This isn’t uncommon, though. Many adults don’t get proper amounts of key nutrients like calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. It can be hard to ensure that you are nourishing your body the right way, but super foods make the process a little easier.
What is a Superfood?
‘Superfood’ is a newer term that refers to foods that are very nutrient dense. That means they have high levels of vitamins, minerals, fiber and healthy fats. Essentially, they give you the most bang for your buck when it comes to nutrients.
These kinds of foods help support every day nutrition and make it easier for your body to stay fueled. Most superfoods are fruits and vegetables, though some dairy and seafood are also considered superfoods. It is important to remember, however, that not all ‘healthy’ foods are superfoods.
Superfood Options for Every Meal
One easy way to get more of these nutrient-dense foods is to take it one meal at a time. If you can get in the habit of incorporating more of these foods into your morning routine, it will be much easier to make the leap to adding some to lunch and dinner as well. With that in mind, let's take a tour of some great superfood options for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
3 Superfoods for Breakfast
- Avocado- Avocado toast might have been a fad, but avocados have always been a great source of heart healthy fats! It also does double duty by filling you up and keeping you satiated, which means less of those mid-morning snack cravings.
- Berries- These lovely little gems can help reduce your risk of heart attacks and are an easy addition to your normal breakfast routine. Add them to yogurt or cereal for a simple boost.
- Cinnamon- This unassuming spice can help reduce inflammation and cholesterol. It’s also fantastic for heart health and can be added to almost any food.
3 Superfoods at Lunch
- Lentils- These little superfoods are a fantastic source of protein. They are low calorie and will help keep you full for a long time. They can be turned into a wonderful hash or added to salads and soups.
- Nuts- Any kind of nut is a great source of low calorie protein and all nuts contain monounsaturated fats which are linked to heart health. They are an easy snack that can be included in any lunch.
- Tomatoes- This versatile veggie is very high in vitamin C and lycopene. Include them on sandwiches or even eat them as pasta sauce or salsa.
3 Superfoods for Dinner
- Fish- Any kind of fish is a great source of Omega-3. This fatty acid is fantastic for your heart. Fish also contains high amounts of lean protein, which is perfect for pre-workout meals!
- Olive Oil- Incorporating superfoods into your diet should be easy, and olive oil is the perfect example of this. Swapping out canola or vegetable oil for olive oil can help you get more fatty acids and vitamin E into your diet.
- Leafy Greens- Leafy greens like arugula, bok choy and spinach are full of vitamins A, C and E. They are also high in vitamin K. This makes them an excellent choice for maintaining and improving bone health.
What Superfoods Should I Eat Everyday?
There isn’t a set list of superfoods that nutritionists recommend. It’s more about what you can accommodate into your existing diet and what your unique nutritional needs are. That being said, when looking at your daily diet you should be getting plenty of calcium, fibre, protein and vitamins. Avocados, berries, fish and nuts are considered to be some of the most nutrient dense foods available and all are easy to integrate into your current diet!
What Superfoods Give You Energy?
We all have had those days where we feel like we’re dragging our feet across the floor to make it through the day. This is most likely because you are not giving your body enough high quality food. If you’re feeling sluggish and want more energy, start simple with eggs!
Having two eggs in the morning is going to give you 13 grams of protein. They are a great source of healthy fats and pretty low calorie for the amount of protein. You could also include more beans into your diet. They have high levels of vitamin B which helps you turn food into energy more efficiently. Other superfoods that help support energy levels include beets, spinach and yoghurt.
If your body feels fine but your brain feels sluggish or unfocused, just drink some green tea. It contains the amino acid L-theanine which helps lower stress levels and improve overall cognitive functioning.
What Superfoods Help with Weight Loss?
If you’re looking to drop a few extra pounds before summer you don’t need to give up delicious foods. Broccoli, sweet potatoes and apples are all full of antioxidants and fibre. Getting plenty of fibre can boost weight loss by slowing the digestion process and allowing you to get as much of the nutrients from your food as possible. Tomatoes are also a great addition to any diet. They are full of antioxidants and vitamins while also being very low in calories. This can help support long term weight loss.
What Superfoods Boost Your Metabolism?
Starting your day off with a high protein superfood is essential to maintaining a healthy metabolism. Your metabolism doesn’t really start working until you eat something. After all, it’s responsible for maintaining your body’s energy output. Eating foods like yoghurt and nuts jumpstarts your metabolism with healthy fats that keep you full. Maintaining a healthy metabolism often leads to much healthier weight regulation and an overall improvement in health.
How Does a Greens Supplement Help You Get Superfood Benefits?
Leafy greens are some of the best superfoods available. They are high in fibre, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. There are even lots of different types to choose from. The only issue with leafy greens is that you have to eat a lot of them to meet your nutritional needs. Adding a greens supplement can make getting the right amount of leafy greens easy. There are plenty of options ranging from pills to powders and it makes getting the right nutrients to your body easier.
Superfoods offer a wide range of health benefits in a way that makes proper nutrition sustainable. Adding more of these superfoods to your diet can help you maintain healthy weight, heart health and gut health. Enjoy these delicious recipes that incorporate these fabulous foods.